Welcome to EVA Manitoba’s Website
We welcome you to the Ending Violence Across Manitoba Inc. website. Our mission is to foster the coordination and collaboration of programs, organizations and government that work together to end domestic and sexual violence in our province.
We want to issue a special Thank You to the Government of Canada’s Victims and Survivors of Crime Week for funding the development of this website.
January is National Stalking Awareness Month
Stalking: when a person is repeatedly watched or followed by another to the point of harassment or fear. It is a global issue and is typically committed by someone known to the victim.
In Canada, more than one in ten Canadian women expressed that they have been stalked by someone in a way that made them fear for their life. In 2006, there were 16,000 incidents of criminal harassment or stalking reported to the police, which included being followed, receiving threatening voice messages, receiving unwanted gifts or being repeatedly contacted. Of these 16,000 individuals, 76% involved female victims and most victims knew the harasser. 63% of stalking victims chose not to report incidents of stalking to police. (Statistics Canada, 2006).
Stalking is a topic that is slowly rising from the shadows. Raise awareness of stalking during the month of January by commenting or posting statuses on social media sites, or talking about the topics of stalking to others. Show your support to help end the issue of stalking through being an ally to survivors you may come across. Let’s encourage people to talk about what stalking is and share their personal experiences.
You can help start a conversation about domestic violence:
- Spend some time looking at our site or doing reading on your own.
- Be in a position to offer support to a friend, family member or employee that might need help and suggest they look at the EVA website for information and resources.
- Make a donation to an organization in your community that works to support victims of domestic violence.
- Follow EVA Manitoba in Twitter and Instagram to view and share. Retweet and Repost messages about domestic violence to help raise awareness for your followers.
- Attend an Event – communities across Manitoba are having events to raise awareness about domestic violence.
- If you are an employer in Manitoba, make sure your policy on Domestic Violence Leave is clear and accessible for your employees.
- Organize an Event to raise awareness or as a fundraiser for an organization.
- Volunteer your time at one of the great organizations in your community.